WII-ENVIS Centre on Wildlife & Protected Areas
To disseminate information on Wildlife and Protected Areas, Wildlife Institute of India was included as the 23rd Environmental Information System Centre in India, with the focal theme "Wildlife and Protected Areas" in September 1997 by the MoEF, India. This Centre deals with general matters concerning "Wildlife" and specifically those related to "Protected Areas".
ENVIS Secretariat in the MoEF is implementing the World Bank assisted Environment Management Capacity Building Technical Assistance Project (EMCBTAP) since January 2002. The project is designed to give an impetus to local, national, and world environmental information with an aim to:
- Network identified organizations/institutions in academic, private and NGO sector and state government department, who have a holding on environmental data and information.
- Dissemination of information and databases on different environment related subject areas and provide on - line query response.
The mission of ENVIS is to support and facilitate the diverse group of clientele from policy makers to researchers and Industries and common man at national and international level on a possible range of environmental data and information through a nation-wide web enabled network. The on going World Bank assisted program of the ENVIS, aims to provide a comprehensive environmental information data base under the identified subject areas, local conditions and issues pertaining to the environment of the country.
- Build up a repository and act as a dissemination centre for information on wildlife sciences
- Provide information for decision-making at the apex level relating to conservation and development
- Establish a database on Protected Area Network in India
- Promote national and international co-operation through networking and exchange of wildlife related information.
- Build up of information storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities in subject areas related to wildlife science.
- Establish linkages with all information sources in wildlife conservation and management in the country and abroad for increasing the information content
- Respond to user queries by supplying substantive information in the form of published reports, documents, extracts, research papers and other unpublished and analysed information as far as possible
- Maintain links with other ENVIS Centres with the ultimate objectives of identification of data and knowledge gaps in specified subject areas and take action towards filling these gaps Publish bulletins on thematic focus areas
- Publish bulletins on thematic focus areas
Wildlife Institute of India
Established in 1982, Wildlife Institute of India (WII) is an internationally acclaimed Institution, which offers training program, academic courses and advisory in wildlife research and management. The Institute is actively engaged in research across the breadth of the country on biodiversity related issues.
The Institute's idyllic campus that has been carefully developed to create state of the art infrastructure encourages scholarly work.